News and Updates from CVSL

Preparing to drive in the EU Post-Brexit

Going to Europe? We will bring you everything you need to know about driving in the EU after Brexit. Whilst Brexit is still very much up in the air, motorists should prepare for travelling in the EU after Brexit. We are bringing you some tips for a smooth transition when driving in the continent.

1. Driving permit
At the moment, you are able to drive with a UK driving license in all EU member states, however this may change if the Government doesn’t come to an agreement and leaves with a no deal.

If this is the case, you will need to obtain an International Driving Permit. (I.D.P)

UK motor insurance customers driving in the Europeam Economic Area, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland, will need physical proof of motor insurance when they travel.

There are 3 different types available:

  • The 1926 IDP, which allows you to drive in Lichtenstein and is valid for 12 months
  • The 1946 IDP, which allows you to drive Iceland, Malta, Spain and Cyprus and is also valid for 12 months
  • The 1968 IDP – enables you to drive in all other EU countries, as well as Norway and Switzerland

Please note that if you are, for example driving in Cyprus and Greece, you would need to purchase 2 permits, the 1946 I.D.P and the 1968 IDP. Another scenario where you would need both is if you are travelling from the UK to Spain, even if you are only passing through France to get to your final destination. The permits are available at the post office and cost £5.50. To apply for these you will need a valid UK driving license, a recent passport sized photo and an original valid passport as proof of identification, when using an old style paper driving license.

2. Insurance, Green Card.
Under EU law, your current UK insurance policy cover provides you with a minimum 3rd party cover in the EU, EEA countries, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland, however if the UK leaves without a deal, a green card is required off your insurance company to cover you in the countries above. Most insurance companies will provide you with the green card for free, however it is worth checking with your insurance at least 4 weeks ahead of your travel plans.

3. Display a GB sticker
After Brexit you will need to have a GB sticker displayed on your vehicle – these are widely available at Halfords, RAC and Amazon. If you fail to do this, you may risk a fine on the spot.

4. Taking a leased car abroad
If you are taking a leased vehicle abroad you will need to request a VE103 ‘vehicle on hire’ form from your finance company. In addition to this, you will receive a letter of authorisation for taking the vehicle abroad regardless of what Brexit outcome there may be!

For more information on taking your vehicle abroad, speak to our friendly team today for more information, to help get you clued up and in the know for when Brexit strikes.

Information sources: As cited in the Post Office, March 27, 2019.